Thursday, October 2, 2008

Feeeelinggggs....

The Tactile Sense.

On Thursday, I went to my dance class. If there were anything more suited to the tactile sense and expression thereof than dancing, I don't know what it is. It it truly a fascinating sensation: the touch of clothing to skin, the touch of hand to shirt to back, hand to sleeve to arm, and hand to hand, the touch of feet to socks to floor...it's all very interesting.

After a while, I started to play around with it; to see if I could feel every sensation on every part of my body. I found that, with some effort, I could feel the clothing on my skin (especially when I was moving). I could feel the hair on my head, and I could feel my body interacting with itself (such as on my armpits); however, try as I might, I could not feel the touch of skin to air, except when I moved rapidly.

It made me think, though: is it really a sense if we don't sense anything with it? For instance, deaf people don't have the sense of hearing. So do we lose the sense of touch if we're not touching anything, and get it back if we ever do touch something again?

Existentialism makes my head ache.

No comments: