Friday, October 3, 2008

I can see!

It's amazing to me just how wonderful a gift the visual sense is. With it, I can see my lovely girlfriend (pictured, left) or a beautiful space scene from the NASA archives (pictured, right). No matter what I see, it triggers a reaction of some kind: whether it is a reaction as simple as simply moving to one side in order to avoid colliding with a wall, or running to gather a loved one in my arms, or stopping to look up at a beautiful starscape, the vision I have is one of the things I am most thankful for.

On Friday, I had time to go to the Library, and I made a concerted effort to notice the things around me that caused me to act:

After the front doors of my apartment building, the street I had to cross, and the cars on it, the first thing I noticed was the IndyGo bus which took me down Meridian Street. My reaction was to board. I got on and noticed people all over the place. My reaction was to find a slightly less populated place and stand. I noticed St. Clair street approaching. My reaction was to pull the Stop Requested cable.

Once I got off the bus, I noted the Library's location. I noted the street in my way. I noted that there were cars coming. My reaction was to not cross. When I noted that the cars stopped, I went across (from which I realized that we notice not only things, but the motion thereof, when we formulate our actions). I noted the location and entrance of the library, and I moved toward it. I noted that there were stairs in my way, and I climbed them. I noted that I was very near to the door, so I pulled it open.

It's a very pretty place, the Indianapolis Central Library. I like it. Plenty to see there.



No comments: