Monday, September 29, 2008

Ancient Cabal

Yeah, it's a corny pun. Ancient Cabal, Old Faction, Olefaction...you know the drill.

For the rest of the day, I couldn't think of what to do with the assignment. But then, I went to Penn Station- and what assaulted my sense?

Wow, it was delicious. Freshly fried french fries, tomato sauce, grilled chicken... The bouquet tickled my nostrils...I finally ate, and it tasted great (but that's a different day) - the point is that smell makes you do stuff.

Buy subs. Buy clothes, even. When our sense of sell is engaged, we do things. A lot of times, it's an intentional choice made by shop owners to induce us to spend our money; like steakhouses which use elaborate venting systems to send the scent of their grills outside so that the people outside come in. And who hasn't nearly choked at the entrances to the department stores at the mall, where they place the "best-smelling" colognes and people to attack you with them?

Just try walking into the South Bend Chocolate Company on Monument Circle, and not wanting to buy a chunk of fudge.

Oh, yeah. That's where I went after Penn Station. Delicious peanut butter fudge.

No comments: